Symptoms and Isolation


Self-isolation QAs for Parents (provided by Central Bedfordshire Council)

If my child is unwell

  • If your child is displaying any of the symptoms of Coronavirus, please do not send them to school. Currently, the published symptoms are a high temperature, a persistent cough and / or a loss of taste or smell. You must let us know immediately if your child displays any of these symptoms so that we can take appropriate action.
  • When a child develops symptoms compatible with coronavirus, they should be sent home – please see the above flowchart for the current guidance.
  • Where the child tests negative, they can return to their setting and the fellow household members can end their self-isolation.
  • Where the child tests positive, the child must self-isolate for at least 10 days from the onset of their symptoms and then return to school only if they do not have symptoms other than cough or loss of sense of smell/taste.
  • The school will work closely with Public Health and the local health protection team to provide definitive advice about the actions that need to be taken next. Based on this, we may need to send home those children who have been in close contact with the person who has tested positive, advising them to self-isolate since they were last in close contact with that person when they were infectious.
  • In line with the guidance, we will not be routinely taking temperatures as the children arrive at school. However, if a child becomes unwell during the school day, we will check their temperature.
  • Any child developing symptoms whilst at school will immediately be isolated from the rest of the children, placed outside the main office, and will need to be collected immediately.

  • The Government has placed a requirement to self-isolate on anyone returning from certain countries. Please check the most up to date governement guidance for further information.
  • This is a legal requirement, so please do not send your child to school until the full quarantine period has been completed if you have travelled to an affected country.


Where can I find more information about returning to school?

The Government information is provided here